Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

An Interview with Megan Wiggins


When I’m conducting an interview, rarely do I get “star struck” when I realize how big of a superstar I’m interviewing. It’s happened a few times recently, as a matter of fact, and this interview was one that caused that reaction.

Dating back even to her college day, Megan Wiggins was a star. As part of a stellar outfield trio at Georgia, she excelled any way you look at it and was one of the most impressive players in the conference year-in and year-out.

Since she’s moved on to the professional league, not only has she once-again proved herself as an A+ star, but she’s also a great ambassador for the sport and for the league. She was (and is, as you’ll read in the interview) an outspoken critic of the NPF’s cancellation of the 2012 championship series. She was a part of the 2011 championship-winning Chicago Bandits team that took home the title two years ago, and was a big part of the Bandits being just a game away from winning back-to-back titles last season before the series was cancelled.

Megan also plays professionally in Japan, and will be back in Chicago for another NPF season in 2013. Be sure to check her out on Facebook here and Twitter @TwitrlesWiggins

Wiggs hitting a BOMB. That's longtime teammate
Alisa Goler in the background, third from the right.

Q. As a member of the Bandits, you play with a fellow Georgia alum, Alisa Goler. But you also play against several of your former teammates, including Taylor Schlopy and Bri Hesson, who are with Akron and Kristyn Sandberg, who plays for the Pride. Is it hard to compete against your friends?
A: No, I love it. I think it makes the game better. Because I know my mind is racing every second; what their strengths are, what their weaknesses are, what they will do, what they might do, be ready for this, be ready for that. So I definitely think it makes me a better player and competitor at the same time.  

Q. Thanks to the NPF’s mismanagement and cancellation of the 2012 Championship Series, there was no champion crowned for this season. In your opinion, how do the happenings and decisions made that weekend affect the NPF going forward?
Q: I mean, I think it would affect any league in a negative way. I think it makes us look amateur and unprofessional. I think the hardest thing is going to be moving forward and keep getting better. We aren't at the peak of our league and something like this definitely sets us back from where we were. I think we have a lot of figuring out and restructuring to do in order to make this league as successful as we want it to be. Do I think it can be done? Yes, but with a lot of hard work and relentlessness. Two things you can’t buy or find just anywhere.

Q:. What is the biggest difference between playing softball in the US and playing in Japan?
A: This is definitely the hardest question I have been asked since playing in Japan. There are a lot of differences, of course, because you are playing in a different country. But to be honest, we are all just playing softball, the same game here or there. There are a lot of cultural differences that I think play into the style of play there, in the sense that there, I think it is a way of life, rather than here, for our league, it’s more of a sport that we love. Not to say they don’t love the sport there, but literally there is so much more time put into practice and playing over there. Also I think there is more respect towards the people and the actual game over there. They seem very appreciative and honored to be playing the game over there. Not to say that there isn’t respect here for the game and people of the sport, but I think it is more of an understood have to do and act a certain way over there.

Q. If you weren’t playing softball, what would you be doing at this point in your life? 
A: I have always had a passion for solving crimes and catching bad guys. lol. I went to school and graduated with a sociology degree in hopes of becoming a FBI agent or secret service agent of some sort. 

Q. Will the Georgia Bulldogs return to the WCWS this season?
A: I sure hope so.

Q. How did you get your start playing softball?
A: My neighbor played and I always would play with her and I guess it stuck.

Q. What would you consider to be the proudest moment from your career?
Looking back, I would have to say the day I was offered a full ride scholarship to the University of Georgia, and the day I first stepped on the field as a Georgia Bulldog. At those moments, I realized that all my hard work and passion had paid off and someone wanted me to represent their school and play for their team. Another moment would have to be when I was drafted. At that moment, it showed me that my hard work and determination through the last four years and years before that were allowing me to achieve my dreams. And those moments are the moments that motivate me, keep me going, and keep me loving the game.

Q. OK, moving on to a couple of fun questions to close it out. If a movie were to be made about your life, who would you cast to play yourself?
A: Umm, duh. Myself of course.

Q. Say you were Aladdin and the genie agreed to grant you three wishes. What would you ask for?
A:
  • For women sports to be as respected and financially backed as men sports( including the NPF)
  • For all the dogs, specifically pitbulls, to be saved in the entire world.
  • For the people I love and care about to live happy and fulfilled lives.

Q. And, finally, if you were offered a guest starring role on any television show currently on TV, which would you like to appear on?
A: I would love to make a guest appearance on Gossip Girl or Burn Notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment