News and Notes
- The Kentucky Wildcats and UT Lady Vols have added a one-game non-conference matchup to their schedule. The game will be at 5 on March 29 in Lexington.
- The Akron Racers made a big splash this week when they became the first National Pro Fastpitch team to sign a Japanese player. Ayumi Karino signed a one-year contract with the NPF’s longest-lasting team, and will suit up in a Racers uniform this summer.
- Gionna DiSalvatore, who spent last season with the Carolina Diamonds and was signed to play for the NY/NJ Comets in their inaugural season, is now listed as a member of the USSSA Pride. No announcement has been made from either team or the league, and no other details are immediately available.
- Two milestone victories were
attained in the state of
this weekend. Crimson Tide head coach Patrick Murphy won his 800th game with his team’s Friday victory over Alabama , and Troy HC Melanie Davis won her 750th game in a win over Louisiana-Monroe. Auburn star hurler Jolene Henderson broke an impressive record this weekend. Cal won her 120th game for the Golden Bears, making her the winningest pitcher in program history! Henderson
- Former gold-medal-winning
Olympian and current UCLA assistant coach
LisaFernandez delivered her second child, Cruz Lujan, at , Pacific time, on Saturday evening. Congratulations to the happy parents!
Photo of the Week
|Photo cred: Kevin Gregory|
Player of the Week
This week’s Player of the Week poll can be found here. The candidates are:
- Stephanie Medina,
South Florida Geri Ann Glasco, Georgia Tara Glover, Boise State
- Jolene Henderson,
Cal Lacey Middlebrooks, Tulsa
- Alice O’Brien,
- Kirsten Verdun, DePaul
- Tammy Wray, LSU
- Randi Rea, Mercer
- Kayla Prater, Louisiana-Monroe