Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

An Interview with Meagan May

During her career at Texas A&M, Meagan May established herself as a great catcher and an awesome power hitter. She anchored a powerful Aggie lineup, and will be remembered as one of the best to ever play in College Station.

May's career stat line of .340/52/148 says a lot about the slugger, as does her .764 career slugging percentage. But just as important as her offensive prowess is her ability to call a game from behind the plate. She was an awesome team leader, and a sure-handed fielder, making only sixteen career fielding errors, including just four in her final two seasons.
I really like this shot from early this season!
Photo cred: Aggie Softball

May was the recipient of quite a number of accolades during her career, most impressively a 2010 second-team All-American nod. She also spent three seasons involved with Team USA, earning a gold medal at the 2011 Pan-Am games.

May's playing career came to a close after two back-to-back defeats at the hands of eventual champions Oklahoma in the Super Regionals. I asked her about her career at A&M; playing for Team USA; and her plans for the future in the interview below.

When you're done here, you can follow Meagan on Facebook here.



Q: How did you get your start playing softball?
     - It all started with my Mom. I had never even thought about playing softball until a local 10U team wanted my mom to join the coaching staff when I was 9. They said that I would automatically make the team if she would coach with them, which was good because I was terrible :) I didn't play for my entire first year and eventually earned my way into the lineup as a DH. Then it's all history from there.

Q: What appealed to you about Texas A&M? What factored into your decision to play for the Aggies?
     - I really like all the traditions that A&M has as a part of their culture. I really wanted a family atmosphere in college and that's exactly what A&M has to offer. On top of being a very community oriented school, it is also one of the best universities in the country academically. When you combing those two things, it was an obvious fit for me.

Q: In your first season in the SEC, y’all beat some big opponents, and showed yourselves to be forces to be reckoned with in the future. What were your thoughts on A&M’s first season in the conference?
     - Obviously there was room for improvement, but that can be said about anyone's season. I think that we did a good job of showing the SEC what A&M is all about. Even though we didn't get all the wins that we would have liked, we showed every team that we are not to be taken lightly.

Q: Was it hard to, in your final season, adjust to facing completely different pitchers than you were used to seeing through your first three years? How did you make that adjustment so quickly and so well?
     - Well, I didn't make the adjustment quite as well as I would have liked, but I was also battling a hand injury while trying to face some of the best pitching in the country. Lol. I wouldn't say that it was difficult adjusting to new pitching because adjustments are a crucial aspect of the game. It was definitely more like our old select ball days where you are frequently facing pitchers that are unknown to you. Your focus becomes purely picking good pitches to hit, and putting a good swing on it. It made our mind set more simple if anything.

Q: For you, what was [or is] the best part of being an Aggie?
     - For me, the best part of being an Aggie was midnight yell. That is where I met my fiancĂ© and the love of my life.
     Midnight Yell is basically a huge pep rally that we have the night before every home football game. At midnight, we fill the student section at Kyle field and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band and the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets are there as well. Then we practice all of our yells (we don't do cheers at aTm) and songs that we will do during the game the next day.
     Well, it is custom to bring a date to midnight yell. So guys that do not have dates will stand outside of the stadium with a sign that says "I need a date" in the hopes that a single girl will find them. Well the team my freshman year loved to find these guys and make me be there date. Needless to say, they chose well because this "blind date" turned out to be the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

Q: What is your favorite memory from your softball-playing career?
     - My favorite memory would be from Mel and I's freshman year when we played in the Baton Rouge regional against LSU. It was a close, hard fought game but it was the first time that Mel and I truly became a battery. It was one of the best games I have ever seen Mel pitch and it was so fun to be a part of it. We ended up winning the game and I will never forget how cohesive we were during that game. It was an awesome experience.

Q: What did it mean to you to have the opportunity to play with the “USA” across your chest and wearing the red, white, and blue?
     - It was an absolutely amazing and humbling experience. It will be one of those stories that I tell my kids about. To be on the field with some of the best softball players in the world and to represent the most powerful country in the world is something that can never be topped.

Q: Was it your choice not to play for Team USA this year? I know you’ve got a shoulder injury, but if fully healthy, would you have continued your international career this summer?
     - I actually was not invited back for this year’s team. I would have played had I been invited for sure but there is so much amazing talent out there, that I completely understand not bring invited back.

Q: Now that your collegiate career is over, what are your plans for the future? Do you still plan to be involved in the game in same way, perhaps as a coach?
     - My plans are to find a career path that I really enjoy and to start a family. I am planning on staying involved with the game through lessons and occasional coaching of my mom's summer ball team.

Q: If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only carry three items with you, what would you take along? (Boats and phones are off-limits).
     - If I was trying to survive and get off this deserted island, I would take a fishing pole, a pocket knife, and a small mirror (to start fires or signal planes, etc.)
     - If I was just going to enjoy being away from people, I would take a kindle fully loaded with 30 of my favorite books, a satellite radio, and my dog

1 comment:

  1. We have never been so proud and grateful for our niece and the women she has become. Her journey in life is amazing and being a part of her discoveries that are to come is truly a blessing to all of us. We love you so much Meagan, and the lives of others we will impact, is immeasurable.
    Lots of hugs from Aunt Kim, Uncle Dave, Kaydee, Mitchell, Michael and the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete