Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Chrissy Montez Steps Into Justin's World

You want to talk about an offensive powerhouse, this young lady's name would definitely come up in the discussion. She was near the top of my list of senior shortstops available for this year's NPF draft, and I was really hoping she would be drafted so that softball fans on an even wider scale would get to see her talents (and, selfishly, I wanted to get to see her play more).

Unfortunately, that didn't happen and Chrissy's career ended at St. John's. She went out with a bang, too, tying the Red Storm single-season home run record with two long balls on Senior Day, and broke the record on the second-to-last game of the season.

Chrissy was most kind when setting up the interview, and I took the opportunity to ask her about how she got started playing softball; the process that led to her choosing St. John's; her hero; and more! Be sure to follow Chrissy on Twitter @ChrissyMontez.


How did you get your start playing the game of softball? What aspect of the game appealed to you and drew you in?

When I was younger I was always going to my older sisters games, whether it was softball or volleyball. I absolutely loved watching her play and growing up I tried to do everything just like her. My sister Jennifer is the reason that encouraged me to play the game. I fell in love with how passionate the players were. My favorite aspect of the game is the thrill, you never know who is going to win. Just because you may be the one in favor to win, it doesn’t always work out that way. It’s anybody’s game.

What factors led to you choosing St. John’s as your college of choice?

Growing up I was always very close with my family. I was not planning on leaving California because I didn’t want to leave my family. After I took the visit to St. John's University, I fell in love with the city and saw myself being capable of spending the next four years there with those girls. It was comforting to see many of the girls making the same move I was about to take. I thought it was a good opportunity to grow up and get the full experience.

You enjoyed a vast increase in your offensive numbers, especially in the power department, in your senior year. To what do you attribute this offensive outburst?

I knew that this was going to be my final season with representing St. John’s University. I wanted to leave everything that I had on that field. I put everything together that I learned over the years. I just needed to relax and not think so much while I was in the batter’s box.

Who is your hero, and how did that person’s influence affect your on-field play?

When I was a junior in High school, my niece was diagnosed with stage four liver cancer. Although this was a very difficult time in our family’s lives, we all stuck together and got through this struggle. At a young age it was a beautiful thing to see April stay strong a fight this battle. Thankfully, she was able to beat her cancer and still is cancer free today. From the moment we were told about her cancer, I did everything for her. I knew that whatever I wanted to do, I was going to do it 100 % and there would never be a time where I would quit. I continued to play softball and I was going to do everything I could to get to the collegiate level.

What would you say is the proudest moment of your career?

I would have to say that my proudest moment was during my Junior year at St. John’s University. We made it to the Big East Tournament and had knocked out Syracuse. They had won the championship the year before and their number pitcher was voted pitcher of the year. It was such an amazing feeling because our team had finally figured things out and we came together that day as one. I can’t explain the feeling I had when that final out was made in that game.

Was playing professional ball something you thought about or considered?

Playing professional ball was definitely something I thought about. Growing up I was always watching the girls play in the US Olympics and I wanted to get to that level. There are so many amazing softball players around the world that are given a chance to represent their team, family, themselves, and any younger girl who inspires to play.

If you could step into the box against any pitcher in history, who would you like to face?

If I were able to step in the box against any pitcher, it would be Keilani Ricketts. Our high schools were not too far from each other and we had competed against her a few times and she was still dominating then. It would be awesome to be able to get to step into the box and face her again.
If a movie was going to be made about your life, who would you cast to play yourself and what would you title the film?

I’m not exactly sure which famous actress I would cast as myself. But if I could, I would cast one of my players that I coached over summer because I can see that she has the same passion that I had when I was her age. I would name the film, Anything Is Possible.

Say you were Aladdin and the genie agreed to grant you three wishes. What would you ask for?

My three wishes would be
1. A cure for cancer
2. To be able to give back to my parents for everything they have done for me.
3. Good Health

No comments:

Post a Comment