Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Whitney Haller Steps Into Justin's World

This is the third time I've had the pleasure of featuring Christopher Newport University on the blog, and I'm glad to say that. The school is an excellent academic institution, and they have a stupendous softball program. For the 2nd year in a row, a star member of the CNU senior class was kind enough to agree to an interview with me... I'm talking about Whitney Haller!

Haller was the anchor of the Captain pitching staff, and put up stellar numbers that more than earned her that title. She wrapped up her senior season with the best ERA of her career, an excellent 1.55, a number that led the conference. She posted a 50-15 career record, along with 303 strikeouts that gave her a better-than 2/1 SO/BB ratio.

I highly recommend you get in touch with Whitney on Facebook and follow her on Twitter @_wlh08. And when softball season rolls around, make sure you're connected to CNU Softball on Facebook and Twitter.



How did you get involved with and begin playing the game of softball?
- All the girls in my family: my mom, my grandma, and my aunts all played when they were younger. My 2 older sisters also played and having the chance to watch them on the field really influenced me to play.

If you could relive or redo one moment from your career, which would it be and why?
- National Championship game in 2011. The whole experience of The College World Series was so amazing, but that specific game, for so many reasons, was something every softball player dreams of.

If you had to sum up your career as a Captain in three words, what would they be?-
- Summing my career up in 3 words is definitely a tough one..I would have to say life changing ..I know it isn't 3 but it really shaped me as a person on and off the field.

Why did you choose psychology as your major and future career?
- I have always been curious about how people develop and why we do certain things and psychology really offered all that and more as a major. I really want to not only understand people and their problems, but I want to be able to help them in any way that I can and touch their lives in some way.

If you can, describe what it was like to realize there’s no next game, no next season, and you can’t “get ‘em next time”.
- Honestly, I still haven't come to terms that I will never get to play as a collegiate softball player again and I don't think that I will until next season when I see my former teammates take the field. Softball has been a part of my life for 18 years and it really has made me who I am today.

What kind of plans do you have to be involved with the game in the future, perhaps in a capacity such as coaching?
- I will never be able to say goodbye to softball, so I know in some form or fashion I will always be around the game. I am very open to coaching and I plan on helping different teams in the future. 

Complete this sentence: If not for softball, I would be a very different person.

Why did you decide to attend CNU to study and play ball?
- Christopher Newport University is a beautiful school that is very respected for both academics and athletics. It is hard to find a school that has both, and luckily CNU does so it was not a very hard decision to pick CNU.

If you could have any superpower imaginable, what would it be?
- If I could have any superpower, I would want to fly. I think it would be amazing to just take off and be able to see the world from the sky.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, and could only carry three things along with you, what would you take? Boats and phones are off-limits.
- If I was stranded on a deserted island I would  take a fishing pole, bug spray and my fiance.


No comments:

Post a Comment