Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Danielle Lawrie Announces Retirement

Legendary collegiate & current USSSA Pride professional pitcher Danielle Lawrie announced her retirement via social media yesterday.

In a post on Instagram, the former Washington Huskies star wrote a letter to her daughter Madison. The letter included the news of Lawrie's intent to hang up her softball-playing cleats after this professional season ends.

The two-time National Player of the Year who led the 2009 Huskies to a National Championship victory has enjoyed a four-year playing career in the NPF. From 2010-2012, she was an anchor in the Pride rotation before taking the 2013 season off following the birth of her daughter. She returned to the NPF this season, but a mother's love outweighed the ballplayer's drive.

Her college career was an outstanding one, marked by the afore-mentioned back-to-back National Player of the Year honors in 2009 and 2010 and her winning of the Honda Award in those same two seasons. She ended her career in 2010 with her name high in several categories in conference and NCAA record books. Lawrie has also served as one of the finest pitchers in Team Canada history.

You can see Lawrie's Instagram announcement here. For those who may find it hard to read, her caption to the photo is also copied below:

"Having you has given me such a different perspective in this game of life.... I never thought it would be easy to hang my cleats up... But you make it a pretty easy decision.... This game has given me such an amazing life so far... And after this season it is looking like I will be able to be your full time Mommy again... I cannot wait to figure out our family's next chapter in life.... I can't wait until we make our move to Seattle and maybe give you a brother or sister soon... I can't wait to open up a baseball/softball facility with @blawrie1313 and be able to give back to this game that has been oh so generous to me ... I can't wait to show my husband@drewlocke24 what Seattle is made of.... And I really can't wait to be near all my family! I've missed them all so much and softball has made me miss so much time with them all... Until then... I'm going to enjoy every last pitch of this NPF season!! Only a couple weeks left! #npfseason #lastseason #lovedeveryminute #readytomoveon #nextchapter #babymaker #threekids #humbabe #willalwaysgivebacktothegame #twentysevenbutifeelolder"

No comments:

Post a Comment