Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Amanda Fitzsimmons Reeves Steps Into Justin's World

Yesterday, we introduced some of you and re-introduced others to former Idaho State slugger Amanda Fitzsimmons Reeves. Today, we're going to go in-depth with Amanda as she dishes on a number of different things.

Amanda began her career at the University of Washington. After a single season with the Huskies, during which she appeared in thirteen games and collected three hits in just seven at-bats, she transferred to Idaho State University.
(c) Bobby Bosquez

Suiting up with the Bengals, Amanda made an immediate impact both offensively and in the pitching circle. She threw forty-seven innings and collected fifty strikeouts, while clubbing nineteen extra base hits from the batter's box, including four home runs.

Her final two seasons were undoubtedly her finest, as her statistics steadily climbed both years. Over the two-season span, Amanda hit twenty-nine homers, including a conference-leading 20 in her senior season. In the circle, she registered an excellent 473 strikeouts.

At the time of her graduation, Amanda retired as the career leader in five Bengal offensive categories, including at-bats, home runs, RBI, runs scored, and walks. Pitching, her 323 strikeouts in her senior year is second-best in the school's record book.



How did you get started playing softball? 
My sister and mother played ball as I was growing up, so it was just natural to try the sport out. I didn't like it so much when I was little so I tried dance. But one of my elementary school friends was on a [softball] team so I wanted to join too. And that's where it all started. 

Did you play any other sports during your growing-up years, or was softball your only love?

I danced ballet for 4 years and also played volleyball though high school. Other than that, nothing serious. 

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
Probably from my high school weight and strength coach: "Discipline yourself so others don't have to." That kept me out of a lot of trouble my whole life. 

Why did you choose Idaho State as your spot for ball and school?
My story is a little different. I was recruited by the University of Washington and played there my freshman year and the fall of my sophomore year. The big school scene just wasn't for me. I knew a couple people at Idaho State from high school and a former Sidewinder teammate transferred there before I did. After having great conversations with Coach Wright about the goals of the team, smaller class sizes, and majors, I knew it was going to be a great fit for me. I absolutely loved the small town and the community support as our program grew with success! 

Who is your hero & how did that person’s influence affect your on-field mentality & play?
I never really had someone I idolized while I was growing up. But I would have to say after playing a season with Jenn Salling, she would be the person I looked up to. The way that she carries herself with such confidence, it's inspiring! The passion she has for the game and the fire she has when she competes is contagious and something I had in common with her and strived to hold every game. Since regaining my confidence at ISU, anyone that's seen me play would probably say I'm pretty intense! I take it as a complement. 

With your playing career now over, do you have plans to stay involved with the game of softball in some way in the future?
I would ABSOLUTELY love to be involved with the sport. Since my career has ended, the timing just hasn't been right to be involved with a team all season. With having a baby, husband deploying, and returning home on such short notice due to a combat injury, it's been hard to find my footing in the game again. I've always wanted to coach, give lessons and I still dream of coaching college ball. I loved being a student of the game and still haven't lost the love for it. 

Let’s say you had the opportunity to sit down, chat with, and pick the brains of any three people from history. Who would you choose and why?
Hoping language isn't an issue, I would choose Hitler because even though I do not agree with what he lead for, he was quite a persuasive leader and a good public speaker. Michael Jackson, cause who wouldn't want to sit and talk to him! And last but definitely not least, Jesus! I could find anything out about anything!!! 

My favorite question to close things out! Say you were stranded on a deserted island, but you were allowed to take three things with you. Boats and phones are off-limits. What would you take?
I would take a blow torch, a laminated picture of my husband and daughter, and HUGE supply of hair ties ‘cause I can't stand my hair in my face.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I really enjoy reading all the articles. But this was my favorite. Thanks

    ReplyDelete