Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Dana Sorenson Steps Into Justin's World

Around a week and a half ago, we shared the news that Stanford legend Dana Sorensen will be inducted into the school's Hall of Fame this fall. Shortly after that article, I reached out to Dana to ask first-hand about the honors. Here are her thoughts...

On her first thoughts upon learning of the induction... 
One of Stanford’s Associate Athletic Directors, who I knew from my time there, gave me a phone call to let me know I had been selected and to congratulate me.  It was nice to hear the news from someone I had the chance to get to know. 

I was at first shocked, Stanford is an unbelievable athletic department, so anytime you are honored with any award or recognition, it's truly humbling.  I was so honored to be able to join so many amazing athletes. Can’t believe I am in the same Hall of Fame as Jessica Mendoza, John Elway, Tiger Woods, Julie Foudy, and so many more.

On what it means to her to be enshrined among the greats... 
It's a very humbling honor, because the accomplishments of those already in the Hall of Fame are so incredible. There are so many Olympians, national champions, and professional athletes that I think I am still in awe of the group and very humbled to even be in the same sentence. I am proud of my career and happy to still be recognized over a decade later, but this is so surreal that I kind of feel like I little leaguer getting to hang out with the big leaguers.

On what she's most looking forward to about the ceremony... 
I am looking forward to being back on campus with my family, and sharing the experience with them. I cherished every moment at Stanford, and have a special place in my heart for the campus that I still get goosebumps when I am back. To be able to have my family with me just kind of takes me back to those memories. I am also looking forward to seeing the other athletes being inducted, I was able to watch a few of them while I was in school, so it will be pretty cool to share the stage with them.

On her favorite memories... 
I have so many, I really loved every day I spent as a member of the softball program, but I think my best memory is our first regional championship to go to the [Women's College] World Series, in 2001. It was a program first and something we all had worked so hard to do. I will never forget being on the first world series team. In a way, I think that 2001 team helped really put Stanford Softball on the map.  

No comments:

Post a Comment