Pages

Monday, October 12, 2015

Evan Childs Steps Into Justin's World

Anybody who was an SEC or strictly a South Carolina softball fan through the early 2010s is quite familiar with Evan Childs. The versatile infielder spent time at three of the four infield positions during her tenure as a Gamecock, taking the field at second, third, and shortstop over the course of time.

South Carolina may not be a championship frontrunner year-in and year-out, but Childs played a role in turning the tides from a status of year-in and year-out bottom-feeders to legitimate tournament contenders every postseason.

Childs' name appears rather often in the Gamecock record books, as she ranks in the top ten in four offensive categories including home runs. In a slightly more painful statistic, she ranks fourth all-time at SC in career hit-by-pitches. 

On the defensive side of the ball, Childs ranked just outside the medal stand when her playing career ended, with the fourth spot in three defensive categories including assists and fielding percentage.

The list of people that work harder than a Division 1 athlete is a short one, but Evan's post-softball career easily fits that bill! Continue reading to learn more about that, as well as:
  • Her thoughts on the increasingly-popular method of young players concentrating solely on softball
  • Why she chose South Carolina
  • The toughest opponents she faced
  • Her favorite collegiate memories
  • and MORE!

Justin’s World: How did you get started playing softball?
Evan Childs: I played baseball ‘til I was 13. I loved the sport of baseball, but my parents and I realized that in order to get a scholarship to college, I would need to convert to softball. I did, and fell in love with that sport just as much.

Justin’s World: Give me your thoughts on the “exclusivity” argument – where young players are concentrating exclusively on softball sometimes even before they reach double-digits in age.
Evan Childs: I disagree. I could see where the argument could be made, but I am a firm believer that the better ATHLETE a softball player is, the more successful she will be in the sport. I could argue that playing basketball, volleyball, and even football really helped me with certain things that JUST softball may not have been able to do. Examples: Footwork, vertical work, different variations of hand-eye coordination, etc. I think that playing multiple sports growing up really helped developed me into the athlete that I am.

Justin’s World: What led you to USC (South Carolina) as ‘your place’ to go to school and play ball?
Evan Childs: I was offered plenty of scholarships from great out of state schools. However, I was born and raised in South Carolina. I grew up a Gamecock fan. I also grew up with my parents at every single ball game I had. I didn’t want either of those to change. Columbia was a short 132 miles from my parent’s house in Conway, and I didn’t want them to struggle with travel expenses or not being able to make a game. They never missed one.

Justin’s World: Who was your toughest opponent, whether individual or team, during your playing career?
Evan Childs: Honestly, any school in the SEC was tough so it’s hard to pick just one. I can get really specific and say that I think LSU had the toughest pitching staff, Florida had the toughest defense, Georgia had the toughest GRIT, and Alabama had the biggest bats. At least in my opinion.

Justin’s World: What is your most memorable moment from your collegiate career?
Evan Childs: I would say (selfishly) the most memorable moment for me was hitting a 2-run walk off homer over centerfield to take the series from the Arkansas Razorbacks my senior year. It was actually my second homerun of the game, which I had never done before.

Justin’s World: Tell me about your current endeavors, specifically your “Alpha Female” program and the popularity of it.
Evan Childs: I have been blessed to work from home, and I have been even MORE blessed to be working from home doing what I love. That is, empowering women through fitness. My Alpha Female is a 12 week program created by me that teaches women everything from what workouts they should be doing to how they can eat the foods they love while still reaching goals. It’s just as much of a mental program as it is physical. I teach them about self-confidence, work ethic, leadership, and things that they can take away from the program even after it’s over. If you want to read more about it, you can check out my website at evanchildsfitness.com

Justin’s World: If you were stranded on a deserted island for an undetermined period of time and could only take three things with you, what would you bring? Boats and phones are off-limits.
Evan Childs: FOOD! I love food, and so would my body. My dog, Blake. She would be an awesome companion, and protector. Third, maybe a water filter? That would be super beneficial. If I could pick a fourth, it would be SUNSCREEN. I burn way too easily!

No comments:

Post a Comment