Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Where Are They Now: Samantha Messer


Who is she? Samantha Messer, a former ace pitcher for the Florida Atlantic Owls.

What is she known for? Messer was a four-year starter for Joan Joyce’s Owls, earning all-conference honors in Conference USA in 2014. In that same junior season of 2014, she recorded a 1.45 ERA in 145 innings, while opponents batted just .203 against her.

Here's something interesting... When she’s not around a ballfield, Samantha sings! She shares that she and her boyfriend often record country and Christian worship songs together, as he plays the guitar and she takes care of the vocals.

Quotable quote: “I have learned so many things through this game, but if I had to pick one that most benefitted me specifically as a woman, I think it would be that I learned how to truly be confident in myself. Not only as a pitcher, but in who I was as a leader and a teammate. I faced adversity and sometimes failed, but through this sport, I learned that hard work was always the answer and I could never doubt myself, even after I gave up a grand slam. Sometimes in life you are going to give up grand slams and things won’t always roll your way, but finding a way to come back and execute gives you a confidence no one can take away from you.”

What's she up to now? After graduating from FAU last spring, Messer was hired as the pitching coach for the Colorado Christian University Cougars, a Division II school competing in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.

Keep up: Samantha’s Twitter page has not been updated in several months, but you can keep up with the CCU softball team via their schedule, found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment