Pages

Friday, July 15, 2016

Katie's Korner: Episode 2

Hey guys! So the European Championships is now in the books! Let’s just say it was a trip to remember, from staying in the same hotel as the Poland and Czech Republic softball teams to having the chance to try all the types of food in the Czech culture.
       
As far as softball goes, we had the opportunity to play the Netherlands, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia, Ukraine, and other countries. Although we did have some rough games (just as every team does), it was still one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had. Who could say that they played some of the best softball countries in Europe? Not very many. It’s something I’ll be able to remember for my whole life. Seeing the girl’s passion for the game over here is such an eye-opening thing to witness. While the majority of softball players my age in America treat the game like a job, the Greek girls do the opposite. Of course, they do everything they can to win and take it very seriously, but when they play, their passion and love for the games shows tremendously. There not being much softball in Greece means that they don’t get very many softball games during the year, which means they play every game like it’s their last.

We came in 6th in the whole tournament. During the tournament, we met with all the other teams and got to hang out with them during game breaks and lunch. My favorite thing was seeing all the kids hanging around the park playing catch and asking for autographs from all the players. Not only asking for autographs, but for Facebook names, Twitter names, and Instagram names to follow us along the journey. It was so cool being able to talk to the kids about softball and hearing their goals. It reminded me of when I was little going to college games and watching the national teams play. That was always the goal; to have the opportunity to play on that level.

Although we were extremely busy with softball, the coaches also took the team to do touristy things! We got to go get coffee (Greek coffee is still my favorite) then walk around the shops and see the castle. There were even about 10 wild peacocks running around, which was super amazing to see but very nerve racking at the same time. I wasn’t wanting to get attacked by a wild peacock. That wouldn’t be too fun.

I’m very sad that I had to leave some of the Greek girls and the coaches over there but I’m so grateful to have met such amazing people and made friendships that will last a lifetime. I can’t wait to be back in Athens on June 1st next year! I’m now in Canada getting ready for the World Championship which starts today! We’ve looked very good in our practices and scrimmages so we’re all hoping to go far in this tournament. Make sure to stay tuned and watch us on live streaming at the Surrey2016 Facebook page!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Katie, I'm so happy to see hard work payoff. Treasure every minute of this lifetime experience. I'll be watching you live. Goodluck

    ReplyDelete