Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Introducing "Katie's Korner"

(Justin's World of Softball is proud to welcome our first-ever athlete guest blogger. Katie Vretzos is a member of the Greek National Team and will be joining us all summer long to document her experience as part of the squad. Join us every Thursday on Justin's World for a new entry from Katie in "Katie's Korner".)

Hi guys! My name is Katie Vretzos and this is my first year playing for the Greek Women’s National Softball Team. I am 17 years old and have been playing this sport since I was 5 years old. I’m currently a senior at Vista Del Lago High School. My freshman year, I verbally committed to play softball at the University of San Diego. I’m primarily a middle infielder, but have also played basically every other position in the field. Outside of softball, I love to spend time with my family and dogs, to workout (not long distance running though), and I always enjoy going to the beach with a big group of friends.
         
January was when I officially found out that I would be playing and traveling with the team this summer. When I found out I would be playing I, alongside other Greek-Americans and one Greek-Canadian, was very excited to help bring back the Greek Team to the national stage. So far I practiced with the team for the past week and we headed off to the U-22 European Championship in Prague Sunday. After being in Prague for about a week, we fly out to Canada to play in the World Championship.

So far I’ve only been here ten days and I have had the time of my life. I got to see the village that my family came from and I also got to meet family I never have talked to before. It’s such an amazing thing to be able to represent your family’s home country, and at the same time learn the culture and experience the ways of life over here. As well as playing softball every day, we get chances to be a tourist. On our first day off from practice, my roommates and I did a day trip to Santorini. It was easily one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. After that, we saw the Acropolis, Monastiraki Square, Syntagma Square, and all the beaches. The girls and the coaches are some of the most amazing people also. They’re so welcoming and helpful. They’ve taught us so much about the language and continue to help

I’m so excited for the next weeks traveling with the team and all the new experiences! Make sure to follow me along my journey on www.justinsworldofsoftball.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment