Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Road to Baseball Gold - Entry #1

(Megan Baltzell ended her collegiate career tenth all-time in Division I softball with seventy-six career home runs at Longwood. In 'The Road to Baseball Gold', she takes us along on her journey to becoming part of the USA Women's Baseball National Team.)


(c) USA Baseball - Jaylynn Nash
Hi everyone! My name is Megan Baltzell! I was born and raised in Stafford County, Virginia. I graduated from Longwood University.

While at Longwood, I played softball and started all four seasons. I begin my college career in left field, but after a short 10 games was placed in the spot where I was born to be; catcher. Before college, I played softball, baseball, basketball, and volleyball, but my first sport that I fell in love with was baseball. I started playing baseball at age 4 until age 14 when I decided I wanted to pursue college softball.

After the best 4 years of my life at Longwood and a very memorable college career, I knew that wasn't the end of my softball career. In my heart, I knew I was meant to play Professional Softball but the NPF did not have the same mindset as mine, so I decided I'd go back to my first love; baseball.

Everything happens for a reason and all the emails the Women's National Team sent me during college were a sign. Last fall, I decided I was going to do everything in my power and my ability to make the World Cup Team. And that's what I've been doing; training everyday, lifting, conditioning, and practicing to switch to our America’s Pastime, Baseball!!!

That's the beginning of my story and why I'm on this path to the World Cup Women's National Baseball Team. I hope everyone enjoys the journey I will be on and stay tuned because... MY JOURNEY HAS ONLY BEGUN

-Megan Baltzell

 

No comments:

Post a Comment